2009-05-19

Succsexy

Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?

Some observations about playing in the morning and playing in the evening:

1) Way more regulars in the day time are sitting at their own table (this is even more disgusting at no limit, where the 5/10 and 10/20 limits have 40-50 guys sitting alone). This doesnt turn out to be a big problem in my limits, but GrantKropf was complaining about it today, and I agree with him. He still sits at 2/4 and 3/6 just so he can get action, even though he's rolled for 5/10 and wants to be playing there.
2) The players that I meet in the day time tend to be more loose passive than they are loose aggressive. Not always, obviously, but the trend seems to be that the later the night gets the more likely it is i'll play a lunatic. Or maybe its because later at night is when all the Euros are on (haha, I kid. well, not really, the Euros can be pretty crazy sometimes)

While doing a sweat session this morning with GrantKropf, I got bored while waiting for action and I loaded up a .05/.10 limit 6max table and starting playing hyper lag. I ended up playing two tables and Grant sat down at both of them. I played 65/55/2.2 over all... and was a big winner... like 35bb/100 hands. Grant got owned pretty hard and dropped almost $10. A lot of it was to me, when I soul crushed him a bunch of times. He sat directly on my right at one table and I 3bet him relentlessly. It was really really fun to play poker with Grant and talking on Skype. we were NOT colluding, as I was desperately trying to win his dimes and nickels. But it was fun to taunt him in chat and tell him how badly i was going to beat him each hand. We laughed a lot, which is something I don't think I do enough in poker. I think it will be really good tilt relief to play the ultra low limits.

I'm having a good month in May, and I'm really happy with how my game is coming along. GrantKropf made a comment about how I'm really paying attention to match flow now, which is neat that he noticed that, because its something that im working on. Matchflow is when you are trying to read into someones actions based on how the hands in the past have been played. For example, if I just won a big pot and my opponent snap 3bets me the next hand, his range is automatically wider than a normal player at a normal time, so i'm going to be more likely to play back at my opponent in more marginal spots with bottom or middle pair, or even some strong ace highs. The reason i'm trying to play a bigger pot here is to try to make them go totally off kilter and start to make bigger and bigger mistakes.

Anyways, I'm going to play tennis now. I'm having my first lesson today and I'm really excited about it.

LQ

Currently Listening: Cash Plays with Jeremiah Smith

2 comments:

  1. Blake - a couple of points:

    1. The new color scheme is WAY better. My rods thank you for the change.

    2. I'm enjoying reading your entries. As someone that likes to aim for improvement in everything I choose to do, I've definitely followed the same path as yourself. However, I just didn't have the patience (or maybe it was the desire) to stick with it. One thing that would be really helpful is an entry explaining what the various jargon means. I can follow along for the most part, but in general I'm guessing at what 3 bet means (I assume it means a bet post-flop, fourth street and on the river?).

    I suppose this last point depends on what your aim is for the blog. If you're directing it solely towards an audience of dedicated players, then jargon is fine. If you're also including hobbyists in that audience, then some basics would be awesome.

    Going even further, I would be interested to read about fundamentals, if you ever choose to write about it.

    Anyhow, keep it up!

    --Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Adam,

    3bet, in limit and nolimit refers to a 3rc bet going in on the same street. So, I bet, you raise, I reraise (and my reraise represents a 3rd bet in the pot that street). In Limit Holdem, there is usually a 4bet cap per street, so we dont often say "i four bet him", we usually use the term capped instead.

    The numbers I used to explain how i was playing are from Poker Tracker, which is a piece of software used to track your stats and results from online poker. the 65 referred to VPIP (voluntarily put money in pot), 55 is PFR (preflop raise) and 3rd is total agression, with someone at 1 being too passive and 3 being a total maniac.

    We can talk fundimentals anytime, and I might make some basic theory posts at some point.

    ReplyDelete