2009-06-22

Midnight Regulations

Lack of updates = downswing, ducy?

I've been struggling a lot the last week, and booked my first (small) win in 7 days. I have moved down from 5/10 to concentrate on 2/4 and 3/6 again. I put in some hands at 3/6 6max, but found the overpair vs set game hard to deal with. I don't want to complain, so I won't talk about bad beats. I understand that these hands come up and I will certainly be on the winning side of those hands often. That said, it is hard to put together a winning session when you get overpair vs set 3 times... I tend to lose about 6 bets with an overpair type hand when it is behind, maybe thats a leak =)


Anyways, I felt a tiny bit better about my game today, as I was able to navigate a couple players to take their gold.

A fairly common player type in the lower stakes HUHU games are the "i dont ever check raise the flop" guys. These fellas come in a couple varieties, one is the c/c c/r with my strong hands otherwise i just call down - a lot. or there is the c/c, c/r 50%+. These guys are actually fairly difficult to play against.

Some adjustments I try to make are checking back a lot of turns with marginal showdownable hands that can't deal with a check raise. I'm not sure if this is a good plan or if making marginal bet/folds is better to get value...

Another adjustment is to check back some hands on the flop, but this would only be against villains who are calling on the flop 80%+... and I probably would cbet 100% against these guys unless their fold to cbet is less than 10%. This is because our bet on the flop is breakeven if they fold 25% (a standard pot at 2/4 will be $1sb,$2bb, I, as small blind, will raise to 4, BB calls, so the pot is 8. If i bet on the flop (2), and he folds 25%, my flop bet has a positive expectation... since im betting 2 to win 8), but that we still get an advantage from the balance of betting more hands and from potentially picking up cards that help us on the turn or river (seeing as we can bet the flop for a smallbet and then get to see the turn and river for free and make a choice then)

Something that is villain specific is whether you can put in a 3rd bet on the turn a little bit light or not. This will depend on how likely they are to 4bet and on how often they are c/r on the turn... someone c/r 50%+ will have a lot of marginal hands in their range when they do raise. It also matters if they are peeling the flop most of the time or if they are folding a lot... for example, if they fold 50% on the flop and c/r the turn 50%, that means that they are raising the top 25% of their range on the turn... (they folded 50% of it on the flop and they folding 50% of the last 50% (2/4 on the flop, 1/4 on the turn). If they peel 100% (unlikely, but go with me for the example) and then c/'r the turn 50%, they have a heck of a lot more junk in their range, since they are now raising the top 50% of their hands (and probably not actually the 'top' 50%, as this range will be somewhat polarized to their best hands and some pure bluffs)
So, obviously, this range changes as those stats get closer together.

Deciding to call on the river is another choice that can be difficult and is something that you will have to feel out as you get to know the villain. if they bet mindlessly 100% you can easily call down with a lot of hands that you checked back the turn with, and to try to make the more honest you can check a couple hands with middle pair in them or even top pair and go for a river raise.

Interesting stuff.

I think there is a lot more to say on this topic, but thats all for now about playing c/r the turn villains.

I made a post on DeucesCracked in response to a player asking about hand ranges. It's worth checking out if you are getting started in HUHU

Also, I finally posted my cribbage video It ended up just being a live play video, but I'm happy with how it turned out. I made a powerpoint, which I may post at some point, but I'm not sure yet. I would love people to watch it and tell me what they think about it.
If anyone wants to play crib on yahoo sometime, i'm interested.

I'm going to see The Tragically Hip tomorrow, and I'm REALLY excited. I saw them a couple years ago, and this is going to be awesome.

LQ

Currently Listening: Alexisonfire - Old Crows/Young Cardinals
Currently Reading: F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Beautiful and Damned

No comments:

Post a Comment